Sunday, April 10, 2016

Smoked Ribs on Bertha (or in the oven!)

Ribs.  

I love me some good, slow smoked, dry rubbed, pork ribs.  Sometimes I am good for a beef rib, but I find that pork ribs are a little bit more delicate.  They are easier to handle and you don't look like a Cave Man eating them.  You can still eat pork ribs with your pinkie out.  These ribs are called Baby Back Ribs.  No, that doesn't mean that they are from baby pigs, it is just where they come from on the pig.  Baby Back Ribs come from up high on the back of the pig, up near the spine, that's why they have the curve on them.

When I am smoking or oven cooking ribs, or any beef or pork, I let it sit out for at least 30 minutes, an hour is better.  Getting your meat to room temperature (cool when you touch it, but not warm (About 70 degrees) ensures you get a more even cook.  When I have let my beef/pork sit out, I pull it out of the fridge, pat it dry and then I season it and let it sit out.  I have found that the seasoning has more of a chance to seep into the meat while it is relaxing from being so cold.  

For my rub pork I add Brown Sugar or Agave to the seasonings.  The lightness of the pork takes to the sweetness more than beef.  With beef I add a touch of coffee or I just keep it a simple salt/pepper/garlic powder rub.  But more on that when I make a pot roast or a brisket.  

When making pork ribs, there is a natural membrane on the underside of the rib.  You can't see it.  It's like a layer of plastic, if you will.  You need to peel this off.  If you leave it on, it can get tough and you will not be able to chew through it.  You can have your butcher remove this (it will take 5 seconds for them) or you can try to do it.  It's super simple, you take a small knife (or I use my fingernail. Totally grosses out my husband, but it gets the job done.) and skim it across the top or the bottom of a rib.  you will see a clear, thin layer of "plastic" separate from the bone and the meat.  Get a good hold on it and pull it off of the entire slab of ribs.  You will see what I mean when you do it, and you can ask for your butcher to show you how to to do this step or to show you what this membrane is.  They will be happy to help.

I prefer to use a dry rub when smoking meat.  I haven't found a sauce that does well with smoking. And to be honest, using a dry rub, there is much less of a mess in my grill/smoker/oven to clean up later.


With these beautiful Babies, I made the rub as follows: (yes, I would do this if I was baking the ribs in the oven too.)

1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c black pepper
1/4 c onion powder
1/4 c garlic powder
1/4 c paprika
1/4 c salt
2 tbsp dry mustard

You will have plenty left over after you rub your ribs.  This keeps great!  Just keep it in an air tight container in a dark cabinet.  Paprika, when it is exposed to too much light goes bad, and you don't want that.


While Bertha (my Big Green Egg) is warming up (I use wood charcoal with oak or apple wood for pork) I let the ribs rest on a sheet pan, on my counter.  I let Bertha come to temp slowly so it is easy to cap her at the perfect temperature.  


I don't have one of those fancy Rib Stands (yet) but I make due with wrapping the ribs into a circle and tying them off with Kitchen Twine.  (Now, if you will be baking these Babies, you don't need to do this step you will just leave them on a baking sheet flat and they will be just fine.)  

I get Bertha (or my oven) to 225 degrees and I will smoke (or bake) these Babies for 5 1/2 hours.  Make sure you have a little pan with some water (in the oven or the smoker, this is important), doing this will ensure that your ribs stay moist and fabulous.  

I know I have talked about this before, but it is so important: when your meat (any meat: beef, pork, chicken, venison, bison, etc.) is pulled from the Oven, Bar B Que, or Smoker LET IT REST!  For at least 15 minutes AT LEAST!  This will make the juices go back into the meat and you will be a happy person.  Please do not skip this step.


When you do cut in to these beautiful ribs you will get to enjoy the beauty of them.  Everyone will smell them and come running.  My boys can't keep their fingers off of my cutting board, trying to get any crispy bit or piece of meat that they can get their hands on.  This is also great for a party!  People will think that you slaved in the kitchen for hooooouuuuurrrs, when you really didn't.  I hope you enjoy this recipe.  If you make your own Baby Back Ribs, Tag @bethanysfoodadventures on Instagram, I would love to see how they turned out!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment