Friday, May 6, 2016

Herb Rolled Flank Steak

I saw this recipe in a magazine somewhere, but it had mushrooms in it, and since I have a mushroom allergy, I had to make it mine!  Another reason I love cooking:  You can see recipes and if you don't like something, you can make it yours!

I think Flank Steak is unbelievably under used.  It takes to marinade so well.  Grilling Flank steak is a must try!  Taco's, salads, sandwiches, fajitas, Flank Steak is so versatile!  Here is the way I used Flank Steak this week:

I got two Flank Steaks.  Frank, my Butcher at Handy Market he suggested that I have the meat Tenderized.  It is the same as pounding it with a mallet, but it takes 5 seconds.  What Frank suggests, I do!  

The filling for these little babies is very simple!  I didn't do it this time, but I HIGHLY suggest sauteing the filling until all the onion and garlic is not as pungent and letting it cool before you put it on the meat.  It was a little strong for my 8 year old, but he still loved it!

Here is what was used for the filling:

1 tbsp Fresh Thyme Minced
1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary Minced
1 tbsp Fresh Parsley Minced
1 lg Shallot Minced (1/4 cup)
6 Cloves of Garlic that have been Minced (2 tablespoons)
1/2 cup Vegetable or Grape Seed Oil (an oil that doesn't have too much flavor)
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Smoked Sea Salt (Regular Kosher Salt works too)

Chop everything super fine and then squish it all with a mortar and pestle.  After everything has become all combined, not necessarily a paste, but almost, this would be the time to throw it all in a saute pan.  Saute for about 5-7 minutes and let cool completely.  

Lay the Tenderized Flank Steaks out on the paper they came in (to save on the mess) and spread the filling only on one side.


Then roll it and tie it with string.  (I learned this tie from my Grandpa, but tying it with 4 separate strings works too.)


Sprinkle the outside with Salt and Black Pepper then let the meat rest and get happy with its filling.


I thought these babies would be really good with some grilled Carrots (I was right), but grilled corn, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, sauted spinach would all be perfect too!

These Flank Steak Rolls can be cooked two ways, you can sear them on the outside in a Cast Iron Skillet then let them finish off in the oven, or you can do it this way:


1.  Get your grill screaming hot (400-600 degrees)
2.  Add the Flank Steak rolls and let them sear on all sides.  About 4-5 minutes on each side.
3. Then close the lid, close off the vents most of the way, and let the Rolls cook for 7-10 minutes on each side. Or if you are using a gas grill, turn down the heat to Med-Low.
4. This is a good time to probe the rolls.  For Medium Rare, pull the rolls when the internal temp is 130 degrees.  
5.  When the rolls are to the desired temperature, remove them from the grill, put them on a cutting board or baking sheet, top with a pat of butter (optional) and cover with foil (NOT optional) and let rest for at least 20 minutes.  Covering with the foil, will ensure that the juices get sucked back into the meat, right where you want them. 
6.  Remove the ties and slice the rolls in 1/2 inch slices. 


Isn't it pretty?

This is the reason that I only cut one roll: Because it makes delicious leftovers the next day!  Two dinners with one night of cooking, PERFECT!  Here's what I love to make with leftover steaks.



This sandwich is super easy, here's how:

1.  Slice a focaccia in half (You can also make this on a baguette)
2. Spread with herbed butter or horseradish or a thin layer of Mayonnaise or a thin layer of Dijon Mustard, your choice.  I used herbed butter.
3.  Slice the meat as thin as you possibly can.  Putting the Flank Steak Roll in the freezer for 5-7 minutes before slicing will make the roll harder and easier to slice.
4. Top the bread with the sliced meat and some fresh greens you might have.  Thinly sliced Purple Onion would be perfect on this sandwich also.  So would some Cherry Tomatoes quartered.
5.  To make the Sandwich perfect, I add shaved Parmesan Cheese (using a vegetable peeler, you "peel" the Parmesan Cheese, Super easy!) for a salty bite.
6.  Don't waste the left over drippings, pour that on top!  It's all flavor!

Slice this bad boy up and enjoy!  This is great for Game Day, a Lunch with Friends or a Picnic at the Beach!  Enjoy!  I hope you make this!  If you do, please tag me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment