Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Some of my Favorite Side Dishes and Salads

A meal just isn't a meal without side dishes. A Bar B Que just isn't complete without some killer sides. The plate only has one thing on it, I think it's just sad.  I love a good salad and I have a wonderfully easy dressing recipe (I will post on that later).  Here are some of my favorite Side Dishes and their recipes:

Watermelon Salad


This Watermelon Salad recipe I kinda stole from one of my favorite restaurants, but I made it my own (my favorite thing about cooking).  Here is the recipe:

1 small Seedless Watermelon peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 Jalapeno Pepper (or Fresno Pepper) cut into small dice
1 tbsp chopped Parsley
1 Shallot minced
1/8 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper

The longer this salad sits, the better.  This is a great make-ahead dish for potlucks or Bar B Ques.  After cutting up all of the ingredients, you throw it all in a bowl, stir it up and throw it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.  

Orzo Salad

This is my summer go-to.  It is ridiculously easy to make and it travels so well.  Orzo is a rice-like pasta.  This salad taps into my Italian roots, with its simplicity and freshness.  This salad would be lovely with Quinoa or Wild Rice too!  Just substitute the Orzo with whatever you would like.  Here's how I make it! 


Dressing

2 Cloves of Garlic that have been Minced
1 Shallot that has been minced
1/3 Cup of Chopped Parsley
1/3 Cup Chopped Basil
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
6 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

Cooking the Orzo 

(I have found that cooking the Orzo in 1/2 Chicken (or Vegetable) Stock and 1/2 water adds so much flavor!)

2 32 Oz Containers of Unsalted or Low Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Stock
64 Oz Water
2 Tbsp Salt (This is why the recipe calls for Unsalted or Low Sodium Stock, I like to know exactly how much salt is going in my dishes.)
1 1Lb Box of Orzo

Cook to the directions on the Orzo package

The Salad

1 Lb Organic Cherry Tomatoes Halved
8 Oz Mozzarella Pearls or 1/2 lb Grated Mozzarella Cheese
Your Cooked and strained Orzo
All of the dressing

The Instructions

1.  In a large bowl combine Dressing and the Tomatoes and let them hang out a little while, about 5 minutes.  You can do this while you are straining off your Orzo.
2.  Add the warm Orzo to the bowl and toss in the Mozzarella Cheese.
3. Stir it all together and taste to see if it needs anything more.  You might like it a bit spicy, so you can add a little Red Pepper Flakes or minced Jalapeno Pepper. That's what's great about recipes, you can make them your own!
4.  I prefer to eat this salad at room temperature or after it was just made, but my husband likes to eat it straight out of the fridge.  Whatever you prefer!  This salad keeps very well.  Keep it refrigerated, it is always better the next day (Aren't most things?)

I hope you enjoy this Salas as much as my family and I do.

Lemony Spring Onions

I love Spring Onions.  They liven up anything when they are raw and chopped up, baked potatoes (to me) aren't complete without sour cream and spring onions.  But when they are sauteed, they get sweet and the tips get crunchy, a perfect snack!  One of my girlfriends made these for me and I can't get enough of them!  I add a little kick, here's how I do it:


1 tbsp Grape Seed Oil
2 bunches Green Onions
1 lemon 
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipolte Powder or Chili Powder (totally optional)
1/8 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Take the Green Onions (or Spring Onions) and peel off the outer layer (sometimes it has already been done for you) rinse them off and cut about 1" off of the green tip.  Cut the Lemon into quarters.

In a skillet (I like to use Lodge Cast Iron) add the Grape Seed Oil, add the Onions and Lemons (flesh side touching the skillet, trust me, Sooooo worth it).  Sprinkle the Onions with the Spice and S&P.  Turn the skillet on MEDIUM Heat.

Keep an eye on the skillet, turning the onions so they don't burn.  Also turn the Lemons getting the flesh side nice and caramelized.  


When the Onions are golden and soft, squeeze the lemon over them.  It's very hard to eat these with a fork, so using your fingers is totally acceptable.  Enjoy!

Cucumber Salad


This is one of my Dad's favorites.  It is so simple.  Please allow at least 1 hour for this salad to sit and get happy.  I think the theme of my salads that I post is Simplicity and Ease.  

The Ingredients

2 Hothouse Cucumbers Cut in quarters longways and then sliced thinly.
1/2 Purple (or Red) Onion Sliced thin (You could totally chop this up if you like, but I keep them on the bigger side for my youngest son to be able to take them out)
2 Tsp Dry Dill or 1 Tbsp Fresh Dill
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)

In a bowl that is large enough for the whole salad combine, Dill, Vinegar, Salt, Pepper and Red Pepper Flakes.  As you chop the Cucumber and Onion, add them into the dressing.  Toss and let rest in the fridge for 1 hour at least.

I love this salad with something rich like Breaded Pork Chops or Meatloaf, the freshness and tang cuts through the richness of those dishes.  You could take the dressing (Dill, Vinegar, Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes and Onions) and add 4 Tsp Olive Oil and it would be a wonderful dressing on just Tomatoes or Arugula.

I hope this gives you some easy ideas for when you are invited to or you have your next Bar B Que or Potluck.  Salads don't have to be Lettuce, Tomatoes and a Bottled Dressing.  Have fun!  Play with your food!  You might create something that will knock your socks off! 


No comments:

Post a Comment