Friday, February 19, 2016

Building my own garden for cooking.

Cooking is so important to me.  It's my therapy and my peace. I love building recipes, finding the differences in the different types of ingredients: The different tastes of salts, agave vs. sugar, to add coffee in a rub for my pulled pork or not, fresh herbs vs. dry, things like that.  I prefer to use fresh herbs (most of the time) to dried herbs (but sometimes there is no reason to use fresh, like in dry rubs or if the fresh herb is out of season).  I like the added color and the buzz of flavor that they bring.  I mean, just adding parsley to your simple salad tastes totally gourmet!  I have recently realized that I spend so much money on herbs, tomatoes and lettuce at the market.  It was ridiculous!  Having 4 boys (that includes my husband) to cook for, I need to figure out where I can save money without skimping on quality.  Today I made my second trip to the nursery to complete my "cooking garden", but I really don't think it will ever be complete.  I made a list of all the herbs that I use while I cook and that's what I got.  I have a sunny spot in my back yard, that isn't too far away from my kitchen where I will be growing my yummies.  I found some really great planter boxes that stand at just the right height so I don't have to bend over, for a really great price on Amazon. So, I am now growing Mint, Thyme, Parsley, Peas, Oregano, Chives, two kinds of Tomatoes, Basil, Rosemary, Lettuce and Fresno Peppers.  I am so excited to share with you the yummy things that I will be making with the things from my garden.  I hope this inspires you to purchase the herbs that you use, or that you find in my recipes, and you find new uses and new herbs that will get you creating some fantastic recipes in your kitchen!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment