Friday, March 11, 2016

Chicken with Pesto and Tomatoes over Pasta

For some people (up until recently, myself included) just the idea of making pesto can give people hives!  "Why make pesto when it is so easy to buy it?"  Well, I thought pesto was just too green, and when I tasted it out of a jar, it was so strong and a bit metallic tasting.  That was until I tasted "home-made" pesto.  It was amazing!  It was a bit creamy and salty and it wasn't strong at all!  I was hooked!  But this has to be one of the most difficult things to make, right?  Wrong!  Four, maybe 5 ingredients (salt and pepper aren't considered an ingredient to me, because most people have them in their kitchen) and a food processor and you're done!  I promise!  This is one of those recipes that you can "make your own" too!  If you don't like the strong flavor of basil, add a bit of baby spinach or kale.  Can't have Pine Nuts? Substitute in Almonds or Walnuts.  Just keep the basics: a nut, basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil.  You can add or exchange anything you like.

Pesto is great uncooked, it is bright, fresh, creamy, wonderful on toast, avocado, quinoa or pasta.  It freezes beautifully!  (Put some in an ice cube tray and it is available at any time!) When you saute' it, the flavors mellow out. My boys love my cooking, but I thought that if I made the pesto with just basil, it would be a bit strong for my youngest, so here's how I made my pesto:

In a food processor toss in:

1 lb washed Organic Baby Spinach
1 bunch of washed Fresh Basil (about 1/4 cup, but I just tear a handful off the stems and threw it in)
1/2 c. Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (No pre canned stuff here) Or vegan cheese (if you are following the 30 Day Clean Eating Plan
4 Cloves of Garlic that have been peeled (no need to chop them, the processor will do all the work)
1/2 c Pine nuts (or any nut that you would prefer)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c Olive Oil
OPTIONAL 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (For a little kick)

Whir everything up in the food processor until it becomes finely chopped, almost a paste.  The Olive Oil will get aerated and there will be a milky color to the pesto.  ALWAYS TASTE YOUR FOOD before you serve it.  You need to see if it needs more salt or Parmesan cheese, but this step is so important!

Now you can do anything you want with your pesto, but I took it one step further and I cooked it with some chicken, tomatoes and served it over Brown Rice Noodles.  Here's how I did it:

1 tbsp Grape Seed Oil
1 Purple Onion that has been chopped
2 Garlic Cloves that have been minced (minced means that you chop it until it is in itty bitty pieces, no chunks)
1 tsp Fresh Thyme (removed from the stem)
1 tsp Fresh Parsley (removed from the stem, no need to chop)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
Let this cook on MEDIUM heat until the onions are caramelized about 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently

When the Onions are caramelized and sweet, add:

2 lbs cubed Chicken Thighs
1 lb Cherry Tomatoes (you can cut them in half or not, no biggie)
1 c White Wine (or chicken stock)

Let cook down and simmer for about 20 minutes.  About 10 minutes before serving (or when you start to cook the pasta) add 1 cup of Pesto to the chicken, onions and tomatoes.  
I love to squeeze a bit of lemon over this.  It freshens it up and makes it a bit light.  

I hope you enjoy this recipe.  It is one of my favorites!  The pesto is a great thing to prepare ahead, maybe on the weekend when you have time to prepare your meals for the week.  Thinking about it, maybe I will write about preparing your meals for the week, and how to write your market lists.  I hope you enjoy your Pesto!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment