Friday, March 18, 2016

St. Patrick's Day meal, but great any time!

When St. Patrick's Day rolls around Corned Beef and Cabbage (with potatoes) is a MUST at our house.  I used to cook it for hoooouuuurrrs in my slow cooker with a few Guinness and a few potatoes, it was delicious!  Two years ago, I decided to get creative.  Bertha, my Big Green Egg, was begging to be used on this day, she IS big and green after all.  I still make it the same now!  Here's what I do.


I use a store bought corned beef (This is a recipe that I have yet to tackle, not for fear that it's too difficult, just because it's too easy to buy it from the market) and fill a pan with Red Potatoes that have been cut in half and some garlic cloves. Add Guinness or beef stock, put the Corned Beef on top of the Potatoes.  When the grill has gotten to 350 degrees (I didn't have much time to cook this so I did it the quick way, I will tell you how to do this the "low and slow" way at the end of this post.) I put the pan onto the grill.  While the meat is getting FABULOUS, I prepared the cabbage.  Cut the cabbage into "steaks" (about 1 inch slices), rub them with Olive Oil, and salt and pepper.  When the meat is about 30 minutes from being pulled off the grill, and the potatoes are fork tender, remove the pan, but put the meat directly on the grill.  This will give it a great bark and add a lovely smokey flavor that you can't fake.  Add the cabbage around the meat and let that grill up, get soft and yummy and perfect.

Trust me on this one!  No more boiled, icky, bitter, gross cabbage EVER AGAIN!  I love doing this to my Green Cabbage for my Cole Slaw, amazing!

Pull the meat off the grill and let it rest in the juice that was left in the pan (after removing the potatoes) for about 15-20 minutes and in another bowl, then put the cabbage with about 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar drizzled on top.  Dude!  It was the AMAZING!

With this, I can make Corned Beef Hash or add this Corned Beef to a chili!

Here's how you can do the Corned Beef Low and Slow:

I love Mesquite wood, the sweetness it adds is my favorite!  I would smoke the meat in a sheet pan for 12 hours at 200 degrees then when the meat gets to 165 degrees, pull it off the grill, raise the temp to 400 and then cook the potatoes for 1 hour and the cabbage for 15 minutes.  Super simple!

I hope you enjoy!  Get yourself a grill, one that uses charcoal.  You can turn it into a smoker when you throw some wood in it.  They aren't that expensive and they are very easy!  Have fun!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment