Monday, March 28, 2016

Your grill isn't just for burgers and hot dogs!

When we bought our house, the kitchen was horrendous!  We needed to renovate it, and we couldn't afford to move out while we did.  I had to figure out a way to cook for my family while I didn't have a kitchen.  My backyard gas grill was my savior!  We got tired of the typical burgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts... I had to figure out new recipes that I could do on my gas grill, that kept my boys happy.

I did my research.  I figured it out!
I realized that with an oven thermometer I could turn my gas grill into a convection oven that could be used just like any convection or standard oven in any kitchen, and when I just wanted to roast something, I could do that too!  I just had to be creative and smart.  So I stopped thinking of my grill as a grill and started thinking of it as an oven and range combined!  I used my pots and pans (If you don't want them to turn black from the grill, just put foil on the bottom, it won't effect the cooking at all.) I used the tin roasting pans that you can buy at the market, I made it work!  You just have to get creative with the dials and figuring out what works.
This is a turkey I smoked for a party we had.

Now, if you don't have a gas grill, a little charcoal grill (like a Weber Grill that you can get at any hardware store, Target, Walmart or K-Mart) works beautifully!  I actually prefer it to the gas grill, to be honest. You just need to figure out the vents and how much charcoal you need!  There is a reason there are vents on the top and the bottom.  The bottom feeds air to the lit charcoal and the vent on top controls the heat and smoke that escapes.  The more they are open the hotter your fire is going to be. And add some wood chips (you can pick them up at most any market these days) that have been soaked for a bit and you have turned your charcoal grill into a fantastic and inexpensive smoker!! 
Burgers are perfect, but why not cut up some potatoes and make roasted fries too?

When it comes to choosing charcoal, you have choices. There are the briquettes that are what everyone uses while on a camp out, the wood briquettes and there is the wood charcoal (which I prefer).  The wood charcoal looks like leftover campfire coals.  They are untreated wood, they don't give off a gasoline smell or flavor, and these are becoming more and more available in big-box stores and hardware stores.  I have seen these in markets too. 
Making a foil packet steams the vegetables and they turn out sweet and perfect!  Put the packet on the grill while you are cooking the rest of your meal!

There are so many websites that you can buy or get recipes for special rubs for meat, chicken or veggies.  Sometimes I just prefer some of my favorite herbs (thyme, parsley and rosemary) salt and pepper, and it will be just perfect!
In my Lodge Dutch Oven (the pot on the grill) I crisped up bacon, sauteed onions and garlic, I added pre-made frozen mashed potatoes and fresh spinach.  I let it cook down while I made the chicken legs!  Super easy!


Just remember, resting the meat/poultry/pork, any meat (including burgers!), for at least 15 minutes (20-25 would be better) is unbelievably important.  It will guarantee that your meat  will be juicy, tender,  and flavorful.  Just take it off your grill, put it on a platter or baking sheet, take a piece of foil cover the sheet pan and finish up your salad or side dishes.  Trust me on this one!
Sometimes roasting a chicken can be just too easy!  I have a stand that helps cook the chicken more evenly and quicker.  I seasoned this chicken with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder and put the stand in a pie plate with chicken stock and garlic. Roast the chicken at 350 degrees for 20 minutes per pound and it will be perfect!

Getting familiar with your grill is a savior when it is 100 degrees outside and you don't want to heat up your house with the stove is a very smart move! A simple Steak Salad, or a salad with some grilled Halibut is so wonderful on hot days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment